Skip to main content

Desert Island Discs: My Picks

Logging onto the BBC website this morning, the main headline was The Beatles and Bob Dylan were among the most popular artists of all time according to an on-going poll (Desert Island Discs) conducted by BBC Radio 4. We hear celebrities over the years about their favourite songs, books and an item they would treasure if they were stuck on a desert island.

In this poll, people have to pick any eight songs they would listen to if they were stuck on a desert island. It is an interesting poll as these songs vast from Beethoven and Mozart, to Slade and Rolling Stones, to Lady Gaga and Madonna. No Cheryl Cole or Justin Beiber, yet but wait until another few years and I'm sure they will be on the list.

This blogpost will show you my eight song choices in ascending order and I hope you agree with some of the hits. Just to let you know, I am not a huge fan on classical music so we may not see Mozart in this countdown - just a warning.

8. Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant 1977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUz48xw_OiM
Billy Joel is what I call, a genius. We all know his hits such as "Uptown Girl" and "The Piano Man" but this choice has everything. One minute, there's a slow piano solo, the next minute, we're all up for a dance. This song offers a lot of emotions which in seven and a half minutes, is difficult to do. The album which this song is in has some great songs too - "The Stranger" and "Just the Way you Are". Billy Joel is a star!

7. Paul McCartney and Wings - My Love 1973
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN4ZDjFGUB0
US Billboard number 1 hit and written for his wife Linda, Paul is known as one of the greatest artists of all time. After his Beatles days, he maintained his singing momentum by joining Wings where he met his love and his solo career afterwards proved equally as successful. This song gets me up and I helplessly sing "my love does it gooood." Brilliant track.

6. Billy Ocean - Suddenly 1985
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAuKhWhy0w
This song I want played at my wedding. It's a slushy, classic genuine love song. Billy Ocean is another artist who has sung more sensational hits such as "Carribean Queen" and "When the Going gets Tough (the tough gets going)". "Suddenly" in particular is my standout song.

5. Frank Sinatra - My Way 1969
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ya7ZRlrEo
"And now, the end is near, so I'll face the final curtain". Truly a great opening to a perfect song. Sinatra belts this one out with tonnes of passion and 26 of the celebrities who have chosen this song for Desert Island Discs including Sir Michael Caine and Jimmy Tarbuck cannot be wrong by saying it's one of the greatest songs of all time.

4. Luciano Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma 1926
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1z5uXWsPCk
This song was off Puccini's Turandot in 1926, Pavarotti did not sing this year. In fact, he wasn't born until another decade or so later but his contribution to this classic made it to number two in the UK charts after Italy's football World Cup in 1990. This song gets me all the time, absolutely superb and pitch perfect. Never try and sing it in karaoke, that's for sure - Pavarotti is pure genius and his music will live longer than eternity.

3. Tom Jones - I (Who Have Nothing) 1970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Of1_qlGQU
I cannot be stuck in a desert island without listening to Tom Jones. Such a powerful voice and he's still going strong, charming all the ladies and inspiring others with his performances. This song is explosive, a song which us Welsh have to be proud of - as well as "Green, Green Grass of Home", of course. His legacy will continue for the rest of our days, just you watch.

2. Elvis Presley - If I can Dream 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CMlYVu9J4g
I'm amazed on two accounts; 1, This is one of my favourite songs which offers bags of energy and Elvis is one of the greatest artists ever to live, let alone the king of rock 'n' roll but 2, Sanjeev Bhaskar's number one song is this very track. Unbelievable and unexpected. Long live the king, so they say!

1. Robbie Williams - Feel 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOewegX7H-Q
We've now made it to number one, and for me, there has to be one winner. Robbie Williams has always been my favourite singer and I do listen to his songs, a lot. Almost religiously - he has a brilliant voice and has sung Frank Sinatra hits as well as duetting with the likes of Kylie Minogue and Nicole Kidman. Absolute legend and this song, I cannot live without.

There would have been more great songs to pick but unfortunately, I only had to pick eight. I'm sure that Sir Elton John, Bill Withers, Neil Diamond, Kylie Minogue, The Beatles most certainly be on the list of 15 but the songs I've put up are unconventional and brilliant. If you've not heard of any of them, listen to them. They will not disappoint you.

BOOK: This is a toughie because I'm not really a book reader. I've not finished reading "The Blair Years" by former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell so I guess it would be a perfect opportunity for me to read it all.

LUXURY ITEM: Again, another difficult question. I wished I said a life's worth of the Independent newspaper but then again, how would it be sent to me on a desert island daily? I like some of the ideas by the celebrities. Jerry Springer and his cheese burger maker, very clever. I don't need food as I'm sure the island will provide me with some sort of fruit on the trees. My choice of item would be... a wireless TV with unlimited Sky Sports. Is there such thing? It's good to dream...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Splitting Britain to its eventual death

Londoner Mo Farah and Sheffield-born Jessica Ennis-Hill set to see their cities drift away from Westminster bubble (Image: Daily Mail) I don't know about you, but I'm loving this year's Olympics. The daunting talk about Brazil's corrupt politics, high levels of extreme poverty and the doping scandal are secondary topics for discussion while the spectacular sporting action and country's tourism boost are dominating headlines. But for me, I've been particularly impressed by UK's togetherness in pride for Team GB's overwhelming success so far. The country's dominance in rowing and cycling is something worth celebrating and hopefully they can provide a new wave of inspiration for many that London 2012 sadly couldn't. With Team GB continuing to shine in Rio de Janeiro, it's a big shame that back at home, political leaders are going out of their way in breaking up the country. In this rate, come Tokyo 2020 Olympics or whoever hosts the 2

Sepp Blatter mustn't resign, yet

Fifa President has to clean-up his mess before deciding to leave Living in Blatter-land World football governing body, Fifa's President Sepp Blatter has been under the spotlight for the second consecutive week and again for all the wrong reasons. Last week he banned British isle national sides from wearing a poppy branding the flower "political" but this time around, on countless interviews with major broadcasting companies yesterday, he controversially said that "there is no racism in football" and if racism occurred in a match, then players involved must handshake at the end of the game. This has sparked anger across the world of football including hierarchies of the English Professional Football Association (PFA), football players such as Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and pundits alike. After hearing those comments by Blatter, people such as myself would bang our heads on brick walls. Today, the 75-year-old went to clarify his previous afterno

Settling the transgender debate like grown-ups

Flag that represents the trans community (Image: The Age) The 'transgender debate' has been hard to escape in recent years. It's impacting many areas of our lives, including in schools , work and sport . Sadly, the media narrative of these stories has made it impossible to rationally discuss how to best support people who have decided to make this life-changing decision, or how to assure their 'opponents' that they aren't being cast aside, or their rights have been taken from them. I'll try and analyse this as level-headed as possible and conclude what we (UK as a whole) should be doing, as a way of being a world leader on what is seen as a divisive matter, where it ought not to be. The current narrative is arguably led by two very different sides - one, the so-called 'pro-trans' groups, who combatively argue that people who want to transition should have easy access to basically everything; from legally changing their gender, to requiring advanced