Skip to main content

Thank you, Bangor

I don't usually write personal subjects on this blog but this time, I feel it is necessary. Three years ago, I moved out of my hometown in Cardiff and started a new chapter of my life by living and studying in Bangor, north Wales.

Why did I choose to study in Bangor? In 2008, I visited the University, keeping an open mind of what I wanted to do after leaving college when further education ended a year later. It was always an ambition to be a journalist so that would affect my future and my University choice. It came to a surprise how many Universities did journalism courses however it was my intention to stay in Wales. The Welsh Assembly Government offered grants to Welsh students planning to continue their study in Wales (an initiative still used today). This meant the £3,025 fee of 2009/10 academic year would be significantly reduced. English Universities lost out on my presence, but they only have Tony Blair's New Labour government to thank.

Furthermore, Bangor was one of the places in Wales which provided me with an efficient and significant amount of journalism courses to choose from. All five Universities I applied for accepted me with conditional offers. Glamorgan gave me two offers in one, in case if I'd chosen them as an "Insurance" choice. Swansea took that position though - they convinced me with the PR degree that intrigued me while Aberystwyth's open day was completely unorganised and walking up *that* hill during open day was enough to put off a lot of people. Of course the University couldn't help that but nonetheless, that cold day in February wouldn't be among the greatest days of my life. Cardiff University offered me a conditional offer but wanted me to impossibly attain a ABB at A-Levels. I knew I wasn't going to achieve this so Bangor it was.

Originally, I intended to do a "Journalism with Italian" degree as learning a second language would increase my chances of being employed. However, when I visited Italy in July 2009, two months before the course was scheduled to start, I didn't feel accommodated by the people there. For example, I went to an empty pub in Pisa and was kicked out for wanting to play a second game of pool. One must bare in mind that I am a tee-total and felt I didn't commit public disorder. That was one of several other incidents which convinced me that spending a semester in the country (as specified in the course guide) may not have been my thing, despite the spectacular scenery and gorgeous cuisine. Regardless, on my return, I decided to change my course title to "Journalism and Media Studies". It was an employable risk I was willing to make.

Once September 2009 arrived, I was raring to go to start a new life in north Wales. Many people in my situation were pretty nervous about moving away from their parents however I was excited. Despite being 200 miles away from Cardiff, I knew my mother was just a phone call away. On the other hand, I have always been the type to be looking forward to moving on. Good things come to an end and I felt leaving the Welsh capital at that moment was a correct one for me - same how I feel today when looking for employment.

The day I moved into Bangor, I remember well. It was Saturday 19th September and I was eager to collect my key card and live in F123 Llanddwyn Hall at the Ffriddoedd Road site. I opened the door to my en-suite (very important) room. The best part of this room was that the hall was built in 2009 meaning I was the first to sleep in my bed. Very soon afterwards, I was introduced to my peer-guides, Leighton and Bianca. The pair were amazing at settling me in and ensured my time in Bangor was top-notch. Bianca, for example introduced me to Storm FM, the University student radio station while Leighton, who was a year below Bianca, was always there when I needed him which wasn't that often - a good sign that I settled in a new environment well.

A big bonus was that Bianca and Leighton studied similar subjects and modules as I did so they gave me an insight to the School of Creative Studies and Media. The school itself was superb. There wasn't a lecturer I didn't get along with and those who taught me were extremely approachable. I am gracious the way they treated me and to those who wish to apply for a media-based course in Bangor, I suggest you should. You will not be disappointed if/when you're accepted there.

The course I studied itself, I'd definitely give it five stars. The lecturers were dedicated and the content most of the time was to my taste. However, I still fail to grasp the beauty of television documentary theory and appreciate the life and works of Jurgen Habermas. Nonetheless, it was a great course and although my passion for journalism is still there, I lost my passion for becoming a journalist. Despite this, being a student representative through the three years and being able to communicate with students efficiently through trust and respect, I know that working in PR and communications would be a suitable career path for me.

Outside of University studying hours, as mentioned before, I was part of radio station Storm FM (87.7FM if you're around Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor or online elsewhere). I was a member almost from day one and was put into the deep end straight away, presenting a sports show with good friend Drew. The Back Pages was a great show for me to be part of and over the two-and-a-half years, I had great laughs with other co-presenters Mike, Adam and Nick. Storm FM gave me an increase in confidence and an opportunity to blabber about sport news to anyone around, even if some weeks, no one was listening. I received comments by people listening from the United States and western and northern parts of Europe and it was a thrill to be involved in a station that will go on and do bigger and better things. It is also a convenient moment to mention I did a travel show during my second year with good friend Cassie, who I had the pleasure living with in the final year. Unsure if sentiments are returned as I loved testing my hall mates and house mates' patience and nerves by belting out Sir Tom Jones songs.

It wasn't just the University which impressed me but the city was breathtaking. The High Street was charming, despite the large supplies of charity shops while the ancient cathedral blended well with the new architecture. One shall be looking forward to the new Arts Innovative Centre which is to be completed at some point in my lifetime. When it eventually does, I'm sure students would thrive on a cinema more locally than Llandudno Junction.

I would like to take an opportunity to enclose some acknowledgements. Thank you to Ace Cabs for being a superb taxi company taking me from supermarket to home every week. Thank you Texaco and other newsagents in Bangor for supplying me with £2 gains on scratch cards and £3 Thunderball winnings. More seriously, I'd like to thank the Students Union who provided support to every student, including myself when in concerned times. Thank you also to my friends for being a superb bunch of people and thank you Bangor for having me. I will always be remembered by the locals as that strange guy constantly wearing a Chelsea coat (Bangor was infested with Everton/Liverpool/Manchester United supporters). You will no longer have the privilege in seeing that coat again, unless I return in another shape or form.

I shall be looking forward to graduation day and collecting my 2:1 degree. However, my time at Bangor was definitely First Class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Splitting Britain to its eventual death

Londoner Mo Farah and Sheffield-born Jessica Ennis-Hill set to see their cities drift away from Westminster bubble (Image: Daily Mail) I don't know about you, but I'm loving this year's Olympics. The daunting talk about Brazil's corrupt politics, high levels of extreme poverty and the doping scandal are secondary topics for discussion while the spectacular sporting action and country's tourism boost are dominating headlines. But for me, I've been particularly impressed by UK's togetherness in pride for Team GB's overwhelming success so far. The country's dominance in rowing and cycling is something worth celebrating and hopefully they can provide a new wave of inspiration for many that London 2012 sadly couldn't. With Team GB continuing to shine in Rio de Janeiro, it's a big shame that back at home, political leaders are going out of their way in breaking up the country. In this rate, come Tokyo 2020 Olympics or whoever hosts the 2

Sepp Blatter mustn't resign, yet

Fifa President has to clean-up his mess before deciding to leave Living in Blatter-land World football governing body, Fifa's President Sepp Blatter has been under the spotlight for the second consecutive week and again for all the wrong reasons. Last week he banned British isle national sides from wearing a poppy branding the flower "political" but this time around, on countless interviews with major broadcasting companies yesterday, he controversially said that "there is no racism in football" and if racism occurred in a match, then players involved must handshake at the end of the game. This has sparked anger across the world of football including hierarchies of the English Professional Football Association (PFA), football players such as Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and pundits alike. After hearing those comments by Blatter, people such as myself would bang our heads on brick walls. Today, the 75-year-old went to clarify his previous afterno

Settling the transgender debate like grown-ups

Flag that represents the trans community (Image: The Age) The 'transgender debate' has been hard to escape in recent years. It's impacting many areas of our lives, including in schools , work and sport . Sadly, the media narrative of these stories has made it impossible to rationally discuss how to best support people who have decided to make this life-changing decision, or how to assure their 'opponents' that they aren't being cast aside, or their rights have been taken from them. I'll try and analyse this as level-headed as possible and conclude what we (UK as a whole) should be doing, as a way of being a world leader on what is seen as a divisive matter, where it ought not to be. The current narrative is arguably led by two very different sides - one, the so-called 'pro-trans' groups, who combatively argue that people who want to transition should have easy access to basically everything; from legally changing their gender, to requiring advanced