Skip to main content

UK's Clash between Class and Employment

After watching Wales Six Nations opening defeat to England, I had been recommended to watch a documentary, Who Gets the Best Jobs?. It's a documentary which focuses on the issue with class and how major job firms deal with it. It was a fantastic, fascinating, yet frustrating hour as BBC Special Correspondent Richard Bilton, who was raised in a lower class environment, looks into the realities of how big companies simply turn the lower class away and steer toward the young students who have had "privileged" backgrounds.

Class is an issue which is rather close to my heart. I can talk about myself and compare against the people who were being focused in the documentary. Being born and raised in an place, I can say is a respectable area in Cardiff, the environment which I was raised in varies. We have people who have occupations such as financial advisers and local GPs who are content with their local jobs. Some on the other hand are less honoured. They never attended University and spend their daily lives scanning food everyday in Tesco.

My parents I can admit aren't the richest in the world. One's a builder, the other being an engineer. Both have done fantastic to get to where they are today and both are loving their jobs. They want me to be happy as well, live every parent has to be with their child.

I went to a "normal" high school. I didn't go to a comprehensive, I didn't go to a private or state school. I went to Cathays. It's a high school which I am proud to have attended. I know, when I first left I said "I survived the five years and glad I escaped, woo!"

But I look back and I can say to myself "I've gone out of high school with decent grades which will take me places". I then went to college which was again, considered "normal". I never went to a place of education where I needed to wear a tie, let's put it this way. During these years in secondary and further education made me realise how important it is to get a "decent" job and make a living. However, being a teenager in the 21st Century is difficult.

More young people are getting increasingly ambitious and all want the same jobs that a lot of people want. It's a competitive world out there regardless of the profession.

My dream is to become a journalist, one profession which was in the spotlight during this documentary I watched. One person which was on the spotlight was a man named Girish who studied Physics had an ambition in becoming a journalist...

Wait, stop right there. A physics student wants to be a journalist? It does make sense but there are people such as myself studying a Journalism degree, surely shows the profession I hope to get after completing their degree. I became even more angry when this physics student tried for every internship for journalism and at the same time decided to do a Masters... in physics. Not journalism, but physics. In order to become a journalist, you need previous experience before saying to a professional journalist "I'm not getting paid and doing the same job as you".

It's an internship. Yes, it's frustrating that Girish wasn't getting much luck in the journalism industry but at the start he wasn't looking for places outside London. In order to get to London, you don't necessarily have to START in London. He's now in Mexico, trying to live his dream.

The documentary didn't specify Girish's experience other than doing various internships. Let's compare him to me. I'm doing two radio shows for Bangor University's radio station, I write blogs, I have written sport yearbooks which have been independently published, I have been to work placements with a magazine and PR company. Surely that, and I'm sure I will do more experience in the near future will help me in securing a journalism job. I am constantly practicing outside my degree time to gain all the experience I can get.

Another complaint which the documentary argued was that in order to get a job of your dreams is the amount of contacts people get. Contacts is important but now due to technology is not impossible. Being part of Twitter has made me express my views to the world which gets people listening and following me. It's only a start.

Let's get back to the topic of class. One possible setback for me is that I am a wannabe-journalist from Cardiff. Now can someone tell me a well-known journalist from Cardiff which they know of? Someone who has made it to the big time.

You can say that John Humphreys from the hit-quiz show Mastermind is from Cardiff. An area (Splott) which back when he was a teenager in the 1950s was dominated by ships and docks. Nothing like the area of Chelsea or Kensington today. But who else? No one comes to mind, apart from the footballers such as Ryan Giggs and the pop stars such as Charlotte Church.

Cardiff isn't well known for the media "giants", we have the local papers which are loved by the locals, and have BBC Wales main headquarters in Llandaf which attracts the audience of a national scale. The media world in Wales as a whole is starting to become popular and continues to do so as well but has a lot to catch up with the likes of London and Manchester.

Another problem. I'm studying at Bangor University. No harm in that, is it surely? It's a good University enough and I'm having the time of my life. However, it is not a "red-brick" University. Last year, I applied for the Guardian Student Awards which I felt I sent in strong written articles. When the nominations were announced, I realised why I was not nominated. Manchester University, Oxford, King's College London were among the winners and runners up of the awards. All of which are given the credit and honour of being top Universities in Europe. A Bangor student such as I would not stand a chance.

What I'm trying to say here is that employers in journalism field go by reputation of the environment which people such as I have been used to for all these years. In my case, not great but not bad either but that's probably me being increasingly optimistic.

I'm not an academic genius. I'm not an A student but why does that have to stop me getting where I want to be? It's not about "class" in that respect, it's got to do with confidence of the individual and the will to succeed. I believe I have that I have the will and ambition and plan to prove the upper-class snobs of Eton, Oxford and Cambridge who went to posh and snooty schools that there are people who are considered the opposite to them who can succeed and can attempt to shorten the gap between the upper and lower class.

Rant over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Splitting Britain to its eventual death

Londoner Mo Farah and Sheffield-born Jessica Ennis-Hill set to see their cities drift away from Westminster bubble (Image: Daily Mail) I don't know about you, but I'm loving this year's Olympics. The daunting talk about Brazil's corrupt politics, high levels of extreme poverty and the doping scandal are secondary topics for discussion while the spectacular sporting action and country's tourism boost are dominating headlines. But for me, I've been particularly impressed by UK's togetherness in pride for Team GB's overwhelming success so far. The country's dominance in rowing and cycling is something worth celebrating and hopefully they can provide a new wave of inspiration for many that London 2012 sadly couldn't. With Team GB continuing to shine in Rio de Janeiro, it's a big shame that back at home, political leaders are going out of their way in breaking up the country. In this rate, come Tokyo 2020 Olympics or whoever hosts the 2

Sepp Blatter mustn't resign, yet

Fifa President has to clean-up his mess before deciding to leave Living in Blatter-land World football governing body, Fifa's President Sepp Blatter has been under the spotlight for the second consecutive week and again for all the wrong reasons. Last week he banned British isle national sides from wearing a poppy branding the flower "political" but this time around, on countless interviews with major broadcasting companies yesterday, he controversially said that "there is no racism in football" and if racism occurred in a match, then players involved must handshake at the end of the game. This has sparked anger across the world of football including hierarchies of the English Professional Football Association (PFA), football players such as Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and pundits alike. After hearing those comments by Blatter, people such as myself would bang our heads on brick walls. Today, the 75-year-old went to clarify his previous afterno

Settling the transgender debate like grown-ups

Flag that represents the trans community (Image: The Age) The 'transgender debate' has been hard to escape in recent years. It's impacting many areas of our lives, including in schools , work and sport . Sadly, the media narrative of these stories has made it impossible to rationally discuss how to best support people who have decided to make this life-changing decision, or how to assure their 'opponents' that they aren't being cast aside, or their rights have been taken from them. I'll try and analyse this as level-headed as possible and conclude what we (UK as a whole) should be doing, as a way of being a world leader on what is seen as a divisive matter, where it ought not to be. The current narrative is arguably led by two very different sides - one, the so-called 'pro-trans' groups, who combatively argue that people who want to transition should have easy access to basically everything; from legally changing their gender, to requiring advanced