Skip to main content

Aston Villa's long road to recovery starts today

Martin O'Neill resigns as Villa boss
No, it's not a joke. No, this isn't a hoax - Martin O'Neill has left his role as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect. No one had expected it. In fact, he was 80/1 to be the first manager to leave as coach in the Premier League.
It's shocking, absolutely shocking. A man who took Aston Villa from the rot which David O'Leary had left them to European football for the last three years. In his four year tenor at the club, they've had Randy Lerner taking over them and keeping them financially stable.
This summer, Villa are yet to make a signing which has been frustrating for O'Neill. He said a month ago that he would leave if Ashley Young left the Midlands club behind his back. Could his departure be imminent? Or has James Milner's transfer saga with Manchester City proved too much for the Northern Irishman. Either way, it's not like him to leave in that manner. This week is the new Premiership season and Aston Villa have been considered again to challenge the top four. Whoever replaces him, they have big shoes to fill, and I mean BIG.
I'm sure that he resigned for a good reason though. His statement upon his resignation was as if nothing major has happened and we shall all move on. It would be difficult for the Premiership to move on. He was a gem of a character and a super coach. He was golden for Leicester City and even when he coached in Scotland for Celtic, he is a very popular individual and we all wish him the very best of luck in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...