Skip to main content

Theresa May in for a Pound-ing

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/theresa-may1.jpg?quality=85&w=550
Theresa May delivering her 'no deal is better than a bad deal' speech (Image: Time.com)

I recently visited Iceland and while I was in awe of the wonders this country had to offer, more significantly (only for the purpose of what I'm writing here), this was my first trip abroad since the UK's EU referendum. So during my sightseeing and fine dining, I also had my eyes on more serious matters. Call me over-analytical and someone who is unable to relax, but my visit to its capital Reykjavik haunted me back to what UK's Prime Minister Theresa May said earlier that week about her government's EU exit strategy plan.

I'll start from the beginning. I arrived in Iceland using a currency I've never used before (Icelandic Kroner, ISK), so admittedly, I underestimated how expensive everything was. I was at a reasonably priced diner, for example, where I had burger, fries and a drink for ISK 2,145. If I had a steak from the same place, without the beverage, I'd be required to pay ISK 3,000. Not bad, you may think. If you calculated my burger order in British Sterling, the meal would have been £16.50. Again, that's reasonable, isn't it?

You may think that, but I was silly enough to put my 'Remoaner' cap on during my trip and had to see how much my order would have cost if I was in Iceland this time seven or so months ago (i.e., the day of that EU referendum on 23rd June). The total was £11.87. Without the diner changing their prices (I had checked) during this time frame, my dinner cost nearly £5 dear - and this hike trend continued across the Icelandic capital and beyond.

Image result for british pound fall
Pound has plummeted in value since 23rd June vote
The key factor towards this was thanks to the weakening Pound. Our Sterling on 24th June - the night after the EU vote - saw its bleakest day in recent history. Instantly the Pound against the US Dollar collapsed from $1.49 to £1 to $1.37 and today, as I write this, it's $1.25 to our Pound. The Pound against the Euro doesn't show pleasant reading either. Meanwhile in Iceland, on the day before the EU referendum, it was ISK 180.56 to £1. When I exchanged last week, it was 130.34 - which seems like a deeper percentage drop compared to the US Dollar. The Pound's road to recovery is likely to take a long time - largely due to Donald Trump's unexpected Presidential election victory last November in addition to the UK's imminent EU exit.

Now, media reports on the British economy have been a mix bag of wild speculations and apparent realities. And while Article 50 hasn't yet been triggered as I write this, rumours of how UK businesses would cope when the country leaves the EU and Single Market will continue to dominate headlines. Of course, the future of businesses - big or small - is vital, and certainty is key. Yet, trade and tourism is just as important to our economy - and hence jobs and individual prosperity.

Trade was one of the key reasons why unions like the EU are formed. It's a great idea for countries to import others' valued assets and for us to export our own - and at a good price. This is celebrated by most of the major economies, and it's welcoming that Theresa May acknowledges this too. However, to do this effectively, a strong currency is needed so that nobody loses out. From what I can interpret, our Pound is nowhere near ready for trading outside of the Single Market.

The Pound is so dire in comparison to pre-23rd June, anybody who is an avid follower of currency conversion rates wished they never were. Britain will lose out on potentially billions on any deal - however 'good' they appear in the eyes of May's government.
No automatic alt text available.
75p and 85p juices sold for ISK 200

I'll give you an example of how much our exporters could lose. During my visit to Iceland, I stumbled across British produced Orange Juice at a local convenience store. I knew it was British because it had printed on the cartons '75p' and '85p', and that it had 'Euro Shopper' labelled on it - a common sight for those Brits who shop in Premier Stores. Anyway, these '75p' and '85p' cartons were sold in this shop for ISK 200 (was £1.10, now £1.53). A British business missing out on 25-35p per item is bad enough, but 75p is near calamity considering these items are usually delivered in bulks, and at a high charge. This shop also had ISK 400 £1.75 McVities Digestives - you can imagine how much that business is profiting today. They must be laughing.

Imports to Britain will cost us, the taxpayer, dear too. Danish retail store giants, Tiger, now has 44 UK stores. The items sold in these branches are notoriously cheap, though cost a small fraction less in Denmark. Imports like these are precious to the British economy but as the Danish Kroner (DKK) outshines the Pound (on 23rd June, it was 10p to 1 DKK, now it's 12p), this may be great for the Danes, though this fiasco would be highly off-putting for British consumers, who will notice bumped up prices in these stores, just so the branches cover hiked import charges?

We can't dismiss the Pound as a commodity interested by the fuddy-duddy. Maintaining a solid currency means it's good for British tourists who want to travel abroad as well as key trading deals. Theresa May must be short-sighted if she genuinely believes New Zealand, United States and so on are more than happy to do trading deals with Britain on the pretence that the UK is a strong economic nation. Britain is a strong nation economically, but right now, the country's goods are dirt cheap.

I wouldn't have complained if, say, the US Dollar or Euro are also struggling - or if all major currencies mentioned here are doing well - so that UK leaving the EU wouldn't make a big difference. But since it's the Pound that has suffered a diagonal downfall since the infamous referendum result, countries are bound to either line up, or run away by the notion that British exports are cheap or not seen as valuable. Theresa May has a point that 'no deal is better than a bad deal' because she's perfectly aware that there'll be plenty of bad deal offers coming her way - and recognising that late could damage the UK economy for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...