Skip to main content

Breivik given prison sentence, but Norway's future appears more uncertain

Later on this Friday 24th August 2012, we discovered Anders Behring Breivik, the man responsible for killing 77 people, many of which were teenagers in Norway on 22nd July 2011, has been given a maximum of 21 years in prison for his actions that shocked the nation. It has been a court case like no other. Never has the country witnessed such atrocious crime and some think that 21 years is not enough for the 33-year-old, however the Norway justice laws suggest that the maximum jail sentence is 21 years - something that has been criticised.

It has been a complicated process to giving Breivik his prison sentence. First, there was a question whether he was deemed criminally insane or criminally sane. Last autumn, there were psychiatrc reports which said that he is a sufferer of paranoia schizophrenia. This was later denied and rumours then said he had Asperger's Syndrome. Regardless, on Friday, he was announced criminally sane and therefore by law, he is sent to prison.

This prison sentence has opened up another problem - it was something Breivik wanted. He wanted to be classed as sane and he wanted all this media attention. Did the judges do the right thing and locked him up for the logical reasons or did they listen too much to Breivik? This case has been a testing one for the judiciary system in Norway and the test to the country's government, however, I am most interested in what the far-right wing fanatic will do next. Will he have friends not mentioned in his 1,500 page manifesto which are capable of doing equally as lethal attacks? Norway was the safest and happiest country in the world, now it questions its safety. The government have to think of solutions and more answers have to come from Breivik.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...