Skip to main content

The awareness of gender discrimination in British football is a blessing

In recent blog posts, I have a habit of writing about topics because of a recent documentary I watched. On this occasion, this trend continues and today, the topic I am to discuss is something I've written about in the past. Here's a clue - last year, I wrote about Richard Keys and Andy Gray moments after they were caught off camera blatantly discriminating assistant referee Sian Massey just because of her gender. I recall saying that they mustn't judge on people on a job that they couldn't do better in and forgot to mention they deserved to be punished despite being really popular "role models" at Sky Sports. They were deservedly kicked out of Sky even if they forcefully apologised and Gray admitting earlier this year that he considered killing himself over the situation. Let's just say that what they said ruined their career, despite the pair moving to Talksport radio.

Moreover, I recently watched "Sexism in Football?", a BBC documentary presented by Gabby Logan and it told me that the Gray/Keys incident is not isolated. I watched this documentary closely. Being football mad and half Iranian, I knew the extent of the gender gap in football. In Iran for example, females are forbidden to attend football matches in stadiums. Some have challenged and protested against this particular restriction. The film Offside (2006) was highly acclaimed in various film festivals such as in Berlin and Toronto and although the film was enjoyable, it did open my eyes to the daunting extent of the reality females get in an environment they want to be part of.

The film Offside very much reminded me of the BBC documentary. The male figures in the Iranian film (the security guards) wanted to let the girls in but they weren't willing to risk their lives in an enclosed society in the country. The girls disguised  themselves as boys, hiding their true identity - like in the documentary where the organisation "Women in Football" (WiF) was very little known to the avid football supporters and the so-called experts. On both occasions, the females are the boisterous unvoiced. This is an incredible shame. In the 21st Century, people had hoped that we had moved on from the "women stay in the kitchen" ideology and thinking more towards the fact not "all Muslims are terrorists". Same applies to Iran, people were hoping that the idea of not "the entire West are evil" was to be the case and that women can dress what they want without being frowned upon.

Let's not get off topic however the issue still lays to rest. I remember writing a blog post about Fifa banning the Iranian women's team from entering London Olympics qualification because the side wore religious head garments. It may not be that extreme in the UK however when I discovered that some football reporters were not allowed in the press room because of their gender, that I feel is discrimination at its worst. However, despite the documentary underlining the problems women face in football I feel presenter Gabby Logan and the males who were interviewed should be praised. Of course, the likes of Karren Brady and Jacqui Oatley deserve recognition also but they spoke from personal perspectives. Logan brought the issue up whilst those such as Lawrie Sanchez, Robbie Savage, Mark Chapman and Jonathan Pearce acknowledge the problems and open up to their opinions.

Football is highly publicised in Britain, as I have realised when writing up my dissertation. Recent debates arise such as racial discrimination, technology and political side to football. Homosexuality and gender are much more recent topics of discussion and the media are hyping this more now than ever before. Whether they are in support of the awareness or critical or it - either the case, at least people are aware. I have no problem with women getting increasingly involved in football. In fact, I encourage it. In a relationship perspective, it is always a bonus to hear of a woman's interest in sport discussions. It is kind of rare which is also an upsetting notion. It is always a misinterpretation that women "don't like football" but that's a complete myth. Unfortunately, the hierarchy in sports federations do not realise this. They must learn from tennis, horse racing and golf where women play a huge, influential part in the games. Therefore, enough women receive an opportunity to shine in areas they feel passionate about. For those involved in football, I am the one saluting to you, and not mocking you.

Nonetheless, debates such as gender are one of the reasons why I love football. Would you ever imagine federations of darts, cricket or rugby (male dominated sports) even consider having female representations? Of course, football is far behind in gender equality but creating a documentary about it is a big step towards a more equal and fairer society. Gender equality awareness will start from football as the sport is more widely known. Once that is sorted and women can feel less insecure, then it will be time to look at other occupations and spread the same message. Take politics for example - although Labour's Harriet Harman says there should be more women involved in politics, this needs to be emphasised. If you're asking me, Harman should lead Labour but again, I'm heading off-topic.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from. People in Britain gloat over the fact we are an equal nation with various faiths and attributes. Now it's time to improve on this. Let us not just give racism the red card but discrimination as a whole and British football could be a leader of this campaign. However, it is easy for me to say things will improve. This requires a lot of effort from football chiefs, players and management to clamp down on inequality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...