Skip to main content

The word "shock" mustn't describe the Norway blasts

This is just a post to let you know that I will be on vacation from Monday evening for just over two weeks meaning that it would be unlikely that I'd add anything new until after I return. Again, I'm going to Denmark. It's an amazing country and glad my family live there so I can frequently visit the second happiest country in the world! During this visit, I will also be spending three nights in Malmo, a charming city in Sweden - very close by to the Danish capital, Copenhagen. I've not been to Sweden before but I heard it's like being in one big Ikea. A holiday I am very much looking forward to.

Talking of happy nations, the country which made it to this year's top ranking were speechless over the happenings at their capital in the last 24 hours. Oslo's government offices and an island near the capital were targeted with uncalled-for attacks, killing at least 84 people, injuring many more. The island of Utøya was where their Prime Minister was due to visit Labour Party youth members. He initially cancelled his Saturday meeting but if he attended yesterday's event - the situation would have been much worse.

I am happy to inform you that a man, who was responsible for the brutal mass murders and terror attacks has been caught and the police have acted quickly in their investigations so that they found the killer promptly. As I understand, investigations are continuing.

The culprit is Norwegian, not an Islam extremist which many were suspecting straight after the bomb attacks. This means that the attacks were probably not a plot of revenge against Norway's decision in going to Libya or Afghanistan, but instead a plot to perhaps, kill Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg. If he was a possible target, the planned attacks would have failed miserably as he was no where near any of the crime scenes.

It goes to show that not ALL attacks which shatter a nation are done by extremists. It is a massive shame that someone who was born and raised in Norway, could ruin the lives of so many of the same blood. This headline, unfortunately will make people feel that they will not be able to trust anyone.

I have been to Norway before and the people there were among the friendliest and trustworthy I've ever come across. After these attacks, I really hope that, despite the shocking incident, they will continue to put a smile on people's faces. I offer my deep condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones and really hope that no more attacks at any level happens again.

Contact me

Just because I'm away on vacation, doesn't mean I'll be abandoning my computer for the duration of my holiday. I have a Facebook "like", for you can have a debate about the biggest headlines. Also I have the blog to be looking for any opinions you may have and also my Twitter account and Google+ account (yes, I'm still a registered user!). I will be happy to communicate to you and be looking forward to adding more blog posts when I'm back.

Comments

  1. Sad events and I'm sure Norway Will get back to being happy when the evil man is punished. Have a good holiday John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Splitting Britain to its eventual death

Londoner Mo Farah and Sheffield-born Jessica Ennis-Hill set to see their cities drift away from Westminster bubble (Image: Daily Mail) I don't know about you, but I'm loving this year's Olympics. The daunting talk about Brazil's corrupt politics, high levels of extreme poverty and the doping scandal are secondary topics for discussion while the spectacular sporting action and country's tourism boost are dominating headlines. But for me, I've been particularly impressed by UK's togetherness in pride for Team GB's overwhelming success so far. The country's dominance in rowing and cycling is something worth celebrating and hopefully they can provide a new wave of inspiration for many that London 2012 sadly couldn't. With Team GB continuing to shine in Rio de Janeiro, it's a big shame that back at home, political leaders are going out of their way in breaking up the country. In this rate, come Tokyo 2020 Olympics or whoever hosts the 2

Sepp Blatter mustn't resign, yet

Fifa President has to clean-up his mess before deciding to leave Living in Blatter-land World football governing body, Fifa's President Sepp Blatter has been under the spotlight for the second consecutive week and again for all the wrong reasons. Last week he banned British isle national sides from wearing a poppy branding the flower "political" but this time around, on countless interviews with major broadcasting companies yesterday, he controversially said that "there is no racism in football" and if racism occurred in a match, then players involved must handshake at the end of the game. This has sparked anger across the world of football including hierarchies of the English Professional Football Association (PFA), football players such as Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and pundits alike. After hearing those comments by Blatter, people such as myself would bang our heads on brick walls. Today, the 75-year-old went to clarify his previous afterno

Settling the transgender debate like grown-ups

Flag that represents the trans community (Image: The Age) The 'transgender debate' has been hard to escape in recent years. It's impacting many areas of our lives, including in schools , work and sport . Sadly, the media narrative of these stories has made it impossible to rationally discuss how to best support people who have decided to make this life-changing decision, or how to assure their 'opponents' that they aren't being cast aside, or their rights have been taken from them. I'll try and analyse this as level-headed as possible and conclude what we (UK as a whole) should be doing, as a way of being a world leader on what is seen as a divisive matter, where it ought not to be. The current narrative is arguably led by two very different sides - one, the so-called 'pro-trans' groups, who combatively argue that people who want to transition should have easy access to basically everything; from legally changing their gender, to requiring advanced