Skip to main content

The word "shock" mustn't describe the Norway blasts

This is just a post to let you know that I will be on vacation from Monday evening for just over two weeks meaning that it would be unlikely that I'd add anything new until after I return. Again, I'm going to Denmark. It's an amazing country and glad my family live there so I can frequently visit the second happiest country in the world! During this visit, I will also be spending three nights in Malmo, a charming city in Sweden - very close by to the Danish capital, Copenhagen. I've not been to Sweden before but I heard it's like being in one big Ikea. A holiday I am very much looking forward to.

Talking of happy nations, the country which made it to this year's top ranking were speechless over the happenings at their capital in the last 24 hours. Oslo's government offices and an island near the capital were targeted with uncalled-for attacks, killing at least 84 people, injuring many more. The island of Utøya was where their Prime Minister was due to visit Labour Party youth members. He initially cancelled his Saturday meeting but if he attended yesterday's event - the situation would have been much worse.

I am happy to inform you that a man, who was responsible for the brutal mass murders and terror attacks has been caught and the police have acted quickly in their investigations so that they found the killer promptly. As I understand, investigations are continuing.

The culprit is Norwegian, not an Islam extremist which many were suspecting straight after the bomb attacks. This means that the attacks were probably not a plot of revenge against Norway's decision in going to Libya or Afghanistan, but instead a plot to perhaps, kill Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg. If he was a possible target, the planned attacks would have failed miserably as he was no where near any of the crime scenes.

It goes to show that not ALL attacks which shatter a nation are done by extremists. It is a massive shame that someone who was born and raised in Norway, could ruin the lives of so many of the same blood. This headline, unfortunately will make people feel that they will not be able to trust anyone.

I have been to Norway before and the people there were among the friendliest and trustworthy I've ever come across. After these attacks, I really hope that, despite the shocking incident, they will continue to put a smile on people's faces. I offer my deep condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones and really hope that no more attacks at any level happens again.

Contact me

Just because I'm away on vacation, doesn't mean I'll be abandoning my computer for the duration of my holiday. I have a Facebook "like", for you can have a debate about the biggest headlines. Also I have the blog to be looking for any opinions you may have and also my Twitter account and Google+ account (yes, I'm still a registered user!). I will be happy to communicate to you and be looking forward to adding more blog posts when I'm back.

Comments

  1. Sad events and I'm sure Norway Will get back to being happy when the evil man is punished. Have a good holiday John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...