Skip to main content

David Cameron + Libya x Tony Blair + Iraq = Disaster

David Cameron has sent his troops to Libya. After an agreement with the UN, UK as well as other countries like France and United States will "try to defeat and get rid of Colonel Gaddafi".

Doesn't that remind you of someone? *Coughs* Tony Blair and Iraq *coughs* Sorry, my throat needs clearing. Seriously though, David Cameron has made a big mistake and as soon as the British troops have only just gone out of Iraq.

The cuts which Cameron made seems to make up for this "war". This is no "War on Terror" which Tony Blair and George Bush created but Cameron's intentions is to get Gaddafi's leadership/dictatorship to end. Will it happen? If they manage to kill him like what Blair did to Saddam Hussein then maybe. Gaddafi won't resign that easily.

Let's look at the "positives". It is legal, unlike the Iraq war. Other countries have agreed to "fight for democracy" and all that tosh but they aren't doing unlawfully.

Ok, now for the negatives. First of all - the costs. It's going to cost a bomb (ironically speaking). So the University, the Health Service and everything else which was cut - that money will kill more innocent people. Well, they didn't go to Iraq and not kill anyone to find Saddam Hussein in the first place, did they? Remember the innocent people are also the people who support Gaddafi.

I hope the UN regrets their decision. Instead of their money they have spare for those suffering in Japan after the horrific 8.9 magnatude earthquake and tsunami, they go to Libya - not to get the British public out of the troubled nation because Cameron agreed to a "no-fly zone" but to spend the money on troops invading a country which doesn't deserve it, well done. There is no indication how much money will they intend to spend but I fear for the Libyans right now.

Let's try and be optimistic and hope the invasion won't take as long as the Iraq War and Gaddafi is more of a tougher opponent than Saddam Hussein because he's more popular. Hussein wasn't popular at all (remember the falling of the statues of him?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of British middle-class sit-coms

After 120 episodes spanning 11 years, BBC One hit situation comedy My Family reaches its final hurdle this Friday evening. BBC One Programme Controller, Danny Cohen said the channel are searching for a new generation of comedies which will created a similar impact. "Now that all the Harper children have fled the nest we feel it's time to make room for new comedies on BBC One. I can confirm that the eleventh series, coming to BBC One later this year, will be the last," Danny Cohen, March 2011 Ben and Susan Harper, along with their children, Michael, Janey and up until series five, Nick are the well-known faces we are going to miss seeing on the occasional Friday nights. Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker have made their impact on the small screen as well as theatre appearances which made them the big stars they are today and I'm sure Daniela Denby-Ashe (Janey), Gabriel Thomson (Michael) and even Tayler Marshall (who played Janey's son Kenzo) have a big futu...

Only an urgent EU return can save Britain's future

Sir Keir Starmer needs to be bold, and introduce a swift EU return (Image: Yorkshire Bylines) I don't know what has been more sobering - the latest UK election results or their subsequent commentaries. If we are to believe in any press speculation, Britain may be looking at welcoming its fourth Prime Minister this decade almost as soon as I press 'Publish' to this article. The frenzy and franticness of British politics have reached a new level, and the more I read into it, the more worried I am about the future. To summarise these recent weeks, current Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer has been under severe pressure over his handling of the government's appointment of Peter Mandelson as Ambassador to the United States last year. We know why it happened - because, at the time, Starmer wanted anything to appease the American government led by the unpredictable Donald Trump who, back then, only started declaring economic wars against allies through crippling tariffs. If an...

We've got the whole world, in Trump's hands

Donald Trump is cornering a willing Keir Starmer (Image: Getty Images) I yearn to visit the United States one day. I have it all planned out - seven cities across seven states, at least three nights in each. And each seven locations have meaning, influenced by my interest in TV, film, music and politics - plus a bit of sunshine and beach in the middle. In my mind, it will be the ultimate adventure, perfect for me, someone who isn't big on travel beyond European cities. However, I face two obstacles to this US trip - one, finances. I totted up how much it would cost me, and if you consider flights, hotels, food and other spending money, it will cost around £5,000, five grand I do not have and probably won't have for a good while. And secondly, the politics, which keeps reaching new levels of volatility. So much so, if its President, Donald Trump, carries on, we'll be comparing the US to North Korea and Iran.  I may sound extreme, but when you consider incidents like the deat...