Skip to main content

Celebrate thinking differently to our heroes

J. K. Rowling Sues Her Former Personal Assistant for Spending Her ...
JK Rowling (Image: W Magazine)

How would I feel if I discovered Michael Parkinson supported the UK to leave the European Union? How would I feel if I discovered Jeff Stelling worshipped Nigel Farage? And how would I feel if I discovered Carol Vorderman wanted people to 'go back to where they came from'?

I've chosen these hypothetical questions for a reason, as I put three individuals I've admired most of my life against issues I fundamentally disagree with. I ask these so I am able to picture the predicament those are finding themselves in at the moment. JK Rowling, creator of Harry Potter and considered a hero to many, has been absolutely vilified by some who once idolised her - purely on the basis that she has contentious views on a debate which is anything but straightforward.

The debate was on specific issues around the transgender community, something that will be discussed time and time again. I don't want to dwell so much into the transgender debate itself, as my knowledge base on it is limited. But Rowling's views have certainly put a dent on her reputation, regardless of whether she is 'right' or 'wrong'. From what I have read, I feel she is neither - and in my personal perspective, she isn't against the community either.

And I also don't feel the attacks on Rowling are justified. It is okay to have a view on the transgender community which isn't in line with what LGBT activists say it is, while not being offensive or anti-transgender at the same time. The attacks have gone as far as Harry Potter fan sites distancing themselves from the very author that created the character who millions adore. They didn't go crazy when Rowling voted against Scottish Independence in 2014 when there were potentially thousands of avid Harry Potter fans desperate for Scotland to break away from the UK. Why go far today?

Rowling is entitled to her opinion, as like anyone else. After being aggrieved by recent events, she co-signed a letter with fellow established authors, speaking out against the so-called 'cancel culture', to which they should not feel the need to. It boggles my mind when I hear public figures being denounced for their views, when actually - unless they are politicians or commentators - their opinions are secondary to their work, an area where Rowling deserves every credit for.

My personal views around this have developed from six years ago when I vowed to never mention UKIP and Nigel Farage again in public. While the way I see the world will almost always be the polar opposite to Farage or UKIP - apart from perhaps our shared opposition to HS2 - and that I find him deeply offensive and repulsive, who am I to 'cancel' him? I appreciate that by me mentioning them, they are kept relevant with extra publicity. That said, it is healthy to debate and engage with those who are different to us. If everyone held the same views as one another and took the same actions, the world may seem simpler (depending on what those views are), but completely unrealistic.

This is why I would not be bothered about whether those I look up to saw the world differently to me. I'd encourage it actually. What we've forgotten to do is appreciate why we like a public figure in the first place. JK Rowling is loved for her books, and it will always stay this way unless others add extra layers on who they think she is and thus create a picture of someone who is anything but the widely respected writer we appreciate.

While it is fine to put yourself off from liking someone you considered a hero once, how far are people willing to go until you've run out of people to admire? We're living in a world where there is an information overload, and it is inevitable we will find someone we like will say something that is against our beliefs. With that in mind, we have a choice - keep an open mind and embrace other people's differences, or jump to conclusions that completely ruins the core reason why you liked that person in the first place? If Michael Parkinson was indeed the most passionate Brexit supporter about, it wouldn't stop me from being a big fan of his work as one of the greatest TV interviewers around and as someone who inspired me to becoming a media professional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Splitting Britain to its eventual death

Londoner Mo Farah and Sheffield-born Jessica Ennis-Hill set to see their cities drift away from Westminster bubble (Image: Daily Mail) I don't know about you, but I'm loving this year's Olympics. The daunting talk about Brazil's corrupt politics, high levels of extreme poverty and the doping scandal are secondary topics for discussion while the spectacular sporting action and country's tourism boost are dominating headlines. But for me, I've been particularly impressed by UK's togetherness in pride for Team GB's overwhelming success so far. The country's dominance in rowing and cycling is something worth celebrating and hopefully they can provide a new wave of inspiration for many that London 2012 sadly couldn't. With Team GB continuing to shine in Rio de Janeiro, it's a big shame that back at home, political leaders are going out of their way in breaking up the country. In this rate, come Tokyo 2020 Olympics or whoever hosts the 2

Sepp Blatter mustn't resign, yet

Fifa President has to clean-up his mess before deciding to leave Living in Blatter-land World football governing body, Fifa's President Sepp Blatter has been under the spotlight for the second consecutive week and again for all the wrong reasons. Last week he banned British isle national sides from wearing a poppy branding the flower "political" but this time around, on countless interviews with major broadcasting companies yesterday, he controversially said that "there is no racism in football" and if racism occurred in a match, then players involved must handshake at the end of the game. This has sparked anger across the world of football including hierarchies of the English Professional Football Association (PFA), football players such as Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and pundits alike. After hearing those comments by Blatter, people such as myself would bang our heads on brick walls. Today, the 75-year-old went to clarify his previous afterno

Settling the transgender debate like grown-ups

Flag that represents the trans community (Image: The Age) The 'transgender debate' has been hard to escape in recent years. It's impacting many areas of our lives, including in schools , work and sport . Sadly, the media narrative of these stories has made it impossible to rationally discuss how to best support people who have decided to make this life-changing decision, or how to assure their 'opponents' that they aren't being cast aside, or their rights have been taken from them. I'll try and analyse this as level-headed as possible and conclude what we (UK as a whole) should be doing, as a way of being a world leader on what is seen as a divisive matter, where it ought not to be. The current narrative is arguably led by two very different sides - one, the so-called 'pro-trans' groups, who combatively argue that people who want to transition should have easy access to basically everything; from legally changing their gender, to requiring advanced